Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Riesling - quick guide for the wine store

I tought I 'd share my love for Riesling. My first experience with a Riesling from Alsace was not so great. First encounter with a petroleum aroma. It felt as if someone was squeezing my heart and trachea. But, as with drugs, you get addicted. Today, the feeling is not as strong, I can smell a Riesling without feeling uncomfortable, but I still do roll my eyes backward in amazement and feel light when I taste older vintages.
A good Riesling has so much to give to its drinkers. From bone-dry to sweet, there is a Riesling for everyone. Alsace's Riesling classificatin is easy to understand: Riesling (which is usually dry), Vendanges Tardives and Sélection de Grains Nobles. German wines have a more complexe classification, with QbA and QmP wines. The wines can be Trocken (dry), Halbtrocken (half dry), Feinherb, Lieblich or Edelsüss (the last three not necessarily written on the label). Then you have the Prädikat for QmP wines which are determined by the ripeness of the grapes: Kabinett, Auslese, Spätlese, Beerenauslese, Eiswein and Trockenbeerenauslese. And a Kabinett can be sweeter that an Auslese. It is easy to get confused at the wine store.
in the Rieslign I have tasted, my favorites have been mature Auslese Rieslings. They have paired well with mild indian dishes and also make great sippers. I am not versed well enough to make differences between regions, but my goal is to get there. For someone who used to lift his nose on white wine, Riesling is my new love (please don't tell my girlfriend).

No comments:

Post a Comment